Monday, June 30, 2014

Nerd Talks: To DNF or Not To DNF...


So, the other day, I posted some DNF mini reviews. I mentioned that I hardly ever DNF books. And it's true. I often will force myself through a book because I feel the need to finish it. But that got me thinking...if I force myself to finish a review book, does that make my rating "unfair" to the book? Or would it just be better if I DNF-ed it, and stated why I didn't want to continue reading?

I actually have not come upon that many books that I feel the need to DNF. I usually reserve those for the ones that I absolutely cannot stand what even is this (like Halo) and on occasion, books that ended up being nothing like the description said/what I thought it was going to be (like Distant Waves). But maybe I need to be more picky about the books I DNF. If I don't feel like reading something, I shouldn't read it. (Although, I definitely think there is a difference between putting something down because I'm not in the mood for it, and actually DNF-ing it, like I'm never going to pick this back up ever. Because I am a definite mood reader.)


Which brings me to the real question: How do you decide with review books? I have review books that I have had for months that I started and never picked up again. Because it's a review book, I think I have to finish it and then it sits there forever, when I really just need to realize that I'm never going to finish it. Which is why I tried out the mini DNF review format last week, and I think it's something I'm going to keep.

Because life is too short to read books you don't want to.

So tell me: do you DNF books? How do you decide what to DNF?

3 comments:

  1. I do DNF, on two occasions:

    1. When a book I'm reading just annoys me so much I don't even want to look at it.

    2. When a book offends me in a way I know I can't get past.

    If a book is boring, I will try and push through, especially for ARCs in my preferred genre. I'm not as strict on books I bought or ARCs that aren't fantasy. Life is too short to make blogging work when I have a day job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only DNF a few, because I do my best to give the book a fair shot before I make a decision and it has to REALLY not be working for me. If I'm feeling 'meh' about it or even slightly under meh, I'll keep reading, just because I know sometimes all it takes is for one good twist to be thrown in and I start loving it. Most of the time, there's a least one or two elements that really stand out and end up making it enjoyable, but occasionally it's just clearly not the book for me and I'll DNF.I do always try to respect the reading time I have, and I don't want to waste it when the book just isn't my type.

    I am much more likely to DNF books that aren't ARCs or I haven't agreed to review. Sometimes if I'm feeling extremely meh about it or getting really bored, then there's a good chance I'll DNF. When I start something that I'm just not in the mood for (or am suffering from a book hangover and nothing feels good), then I put it aside and don't even mark my spot. I'll try picking up something else (usually that works), and when I finish it, the one I put down before will be the first I try to start again at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't DNFd many books, but I did DNF a review book lately. I'd had it for a while and decided that I should probably read it. I got to 50% and then just flicked through the pages to the end so I could know what happened (I have to know these things).

    It was a NG book, so I just sent the feedback saying that I DNFd, and then the reasons why I DNFd. Which were along the lines of numerous and unemotional deaths (like, seriously this whole girl's family just throw themselves at these paranormal creatures and get eaten - but one. at. a. time), undeveloped main character, and no plot.

    So I guess those are the reasons I DNF. I can read books I am not 100% enjoying, but if there is no way I can continue without causing myself mental pain, then that's a DNF for me.

    ReplyDelete