Friday, March 21, 2014

The Dream Dress {by Janice Thompson}

Title: The Dream Dress
Author: Janice Thompson
Series: Weddings by Design #3
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

A seamstress at a swanky bridal boutique, Gabi Delgado dreams of doing more than ripping out seams and fitting dresses to doe-eyed brides. She wants to see her own dress designs gracing the young women of Texas. When Jordan Spencer, the editor of Texas Bride magazine visits the shop to do a feature, Gabi is devastated to lose her job in his very influential presence. Convinced she'll never get her dreams off the ground now, Gabi needs lots of encouragement--especially from her friend Bella Neeley--to take a chance and start her business. And as she gets to know Jordan, she discovers that she may have to take a chance on love as well. Could it be that she'll have to design her own wedding dress soon?


Guys. I don't know what it is about this series or this author. It started with the Weddings by Bella series. I was absolutely hooked. There wasn't even a reason why I loved it so much, because it wasn't my usual type of read, but I just did. I fell absolutely, completely in love, and that love has continued to her spin-off series, Weddings by Design. While Bella's series was all about, well, Bella, each book in the Design series has a different MC, and I loved that just as much.

Gabi is an alterations girl by day, closet wedding dress designer by night. She doesn't dare tell her boss, the infamous Demetri *insert pretentious sounding something here*. Until the day she gets humiliatingly fired, in front of a (very cute) reporter, no less. 

One of the reasons I like this series so much is the people. I mentioned how I loved Bella's series, and it was most in part to the absolutely crazy, lovable, mixed-up family she had. So I love how the author brings all those people back in. It might seem a little crazy at times (in fact, I would definitely recommend reading Weddings by Bella before this one because of all the people), but that is just part of the charm. I LOVE culture, especially when talking about food ;). So each new MC bringing in her own culture and differences makes it that much more special, and Gabi is no different. I love the family aspect in each story, and absolutely adored Mimi Carmen.

Gabi herself was such a cute character. She was hard-working and sweet and loyal, and just wanted to do what she loved. And Jordan...okay, actually, I wasn't as impressed with this love interest as I was with some of the others. (You know, I wasn't super impressed with Drew either, although Armando then made up for that.) He wasn't as swoony, and the romance seemed a bit underdeveloped in this one. It seemed to just...happen without any reason or substance. I know that all the romances in this series have seemed to happen really fast since they only got one book instead of three, but this seemed faster than most.

This book had plenty of moments that just made me laugh. Demetri and his "Fab Five", the Splendora Sisters (Lord, help us all), even Guido the parrot has his moment (yes, he's in this book too). I loved Bella, and how she was a part of this one, as well as Scarlet and Hannah from the first two books. 

I realize that some people might have problems with this book, in how cheesy it can come across, how everything works out just perfectly, how Gabi's fascination with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers is overdone, especially considering Scarlet did the same thing with Lucy in The Icing on the Cake. And, even I will admit that this is all true. But I don't care. This book just made me really, really happy. I have no doubts about giving it the rating I did, because when it comes down to it, this book did exactly what a book is supposed to do. It entertained, it made me laugh, it made me swoon, it made me just all-around happy. 

*This novel is Christian fiction

This review can also be found on   Rachel Marie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Weddings by Bella:

Weddings by Design:
A Bouquet of Love is expected August 2014


Janice Thompson:

Website | Twitter | Goodreads









No comments:

Post a Comment